February 8, 2017 - February 11, 2017
Learning from the Past and Present – Shaping the Future
35 students from Bischof von Lipp School will take part in a study visit to Auschwitz-Birkenau from February 8th to 11th 2017. St. Josefspflege is a Catholic organization, since 1854 engaged in social work for children and students.
On May 9th 1944 a group of 39 children were sent to the Gypsy camp in Auschwitz – Birkenau. The Gypsy Camp (Zigeunerlager) in Birkenau existed until August 2, 1944. On the evening of August 2, approximately 3,000 men, women, and children who were still in the camp were loaded onto trucks and driven to the gas chambers.
Since 1988, students with teachers from School Bishop Lipp deal with this dark chapter in German history. They began a project “Education after Auschwitz” in collaboration with the Higher School of Social Sciences in Esslingen, whose aim is learning from the past and learning for the present and the future. This project involves youth in seventh grade who begin preparations for the trip to Auschwitz-Birkenau a year in advance.